Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Review: Dark Illusions: The Beginning


Dark Illusions: The Beginning
Dark Illusions: The Beginning by A.H. Browne

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I have had the pleasure of talking to Ms. Browne quite a bit on Facebook and have even gotten a chance to promote her writings. When I first began Dark Illusions I was struck by an odd quality of it being very similar to a game I played called Vampire the Masquerade. It had the same character clan roles that were in the game along with the same Politicking and power structure. I thought it was intriguing when I asked her if she had ever heard of the game that she had not. This made me want to continue the book even further to see what other parallels there were. Unfortunately, after about a third of the way through the book the story became more about a strange romance that was taking over the main character than that of the dynamics of the court politics. I also started to become irritated at the main character as she began to diminish from this strong female persona into an animal, even before being "Awakened". Personally, the middle of the book was a little long and seemed to repeat the same sequence a few times over. After the main character became "bored" with her new life the story began to pick up again. While I would have definitely have changed a few things, it was still a good read and I will be looking for the next installment.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment